Nearly everyone experiences some form of back pain or another at some point throughout their lifetime. Of course, as with many conditions and ailments, the degree of severity varies greatly.
However, there are things that you can do to strengthen your spine and support your back, which could alleviate pain, stiffness, and tension.
Here are some tips on how to alleviate back pain and improve spine health:
- Don’t slouch! Proper posture is essential to good back health and is the reason for many back problems.
- Try yoga! It will improve flexibility and core strength, which can help take pressure off the back.
- Use an ergonomic desk chair at work and/or try a lumbar pillow, or, a posture-correcting device.
- Deep belly breathing: according to Dr. Kenneth Hansraj, a spinal & orthopedic surgeon and author, deep belly breathing can improve posture, thus helping with back health.
- He also states that what you eat can affect your spine: ”
You may not think that your diet affects your spine, but it actually plays a key role. A healthy diet consisting mostly of lean proteins, healthy fats and lots of fresh fruits and vegetables is ideal for building a lean body and muscles that support the spine.
To improve the condition of your spine, supplement your diet with a multivitamin along with a B-complex and Omega-3s, as they have been shown to help decrease pain in the nerves of the spine.”
- Get out in that sunshine! Vitamin D can help build healthy bones.
- Walk! Any moderate exercise such as walking or light strength training can lessen back pain.
- Stretch! A good stretch to break up the day is key, especially if you are often sedentary.
- Warm baths with epsom salts can help alleviate muscle tension in the back.
- Bodyweight exercises can also strengthen back and shoulder muscles, in turn strengthening the core and increasing spinal health.
- Rest — but not too much! Proper, adequate sleep is essential for overall health and for the body’s healing process. However, getting TOO MUCH sleep can also be detrimental to one’s health, too.
- Get a massage!
- Try acupuncture.
- Chiropractors can be amazing source of healing for people with back problems but it is very important to do your homework and choose a very reputable, trusted Doctor of Chiropractic who has a good background.
- Physical therapy can help improve back pain.
- Swimming is also a great exercise for people living with back and spine issues.
- Surgery and medication are also options to treat back pain, as are holistic measures.
Back pain can be caused by many things: injury or accidents, arthritis, scoliosis, birth defects, ankylosing spondylitis, muscoskeletal disorders, and more — but many of the treatments overlap.
Leave a comment and let us know how you treat back pain!
What’s YOUR weapon against arthritis?
Follow the Arthritis Foundation, Mid Atlantic Region on Twitter @MidAtlanticAF!
Arthritis is Unacceptable.
Let’s all unite against arthritis. Together, we will achieve the vision of a world free from arthritis