Wellness counselors and health coaches are one of the most popular and fastest-growing segments of the healthcare culture.
As a patient with chronic illness who has tried everything, they may seem like just another hopeless box to check off of your seemingly never-ending list.
As long as your doctor doesn’t object, though, working with a health or wellness coach can be extremely rewarding and beneficial to those living with arthritis, or other chronic illness.
Health coaches have been working to increase awareness about the field among medical professionals, though, according to WebMD, it’s still only beginning to catch on with medical doctors. ”Physician referral to coaches is still at an early stage. We don’t have reimbursement, and it’s going to take years to fall into place. We see grass-roots, small-scale doctors coming to us. But most physicians just aren’t into it yet. It’s still very new. But they will be.”
So, what can a health coach do for you?
- Health coaches can recommend diet and nutrition changes.
- Health coaches can recommend fitness or workout regimens.
- Health coaches may help you to lose weight, or to feel better about your body.
- Health coaches can guide you on an emotional and/or spiritual level.
- Health coaches may recommend supplements or holistic treatments.
- Health coaches can provide counsel over the phone, online, or in-person.
- Health coaches may refer you to traditional practitioners or to alternative doctors.
- Health coaches may recommend support groups or coping mechanisms, or put you in touch with others dealing with what you are going through.
- Health coaches may be provide you with various heath tips to better your overall wellness.
Health coaching is a method of guiding others to address their health and, if need be, make behavioral changes to improve health, says Wikipedia, and they may provide more individualized and personalized recommendations to patients than some regular doctors do, because they likely have more time to do so.
Have any of you worked with a wellness coach, health coach, or life coach? Share a comment and let us know!
What’s YOUR weapon against arthritis?
Follow the Arthritis Foundation, Mid Atlantic Region on Twitter @MidAtlanticAF!
Arthritis is Unacceptable.
Let’s all unite against arthritis. Together, we will achieve the vision of a world free from arthritis pain.